LeadTesters Paradigm Group


Why Do You Need to Be Concerned About Lead?

Prior to 1978, it was legal to make and use lead based paint.  Many properties constructed before 1978 have been painted with lead based paint.  Over time paint can deteriorate and flake off or create dust. The dust created by deteriorating paint can be easily ingested by children due to a lot of hand to mouth contact.  This common behavior becomes dangerous when a child's hands have been exposed to contaminated dust.  Children six year old and younger are most susceptible to lead poisoning, but everyone is at risk.

If you are living in or frequently visit a house that was built before 1978, you and your family face the threat of lead-poisoning.  Any property constructed before 1978 could be contaminated by lead-based paint.

"Lead is a toxic metal that was used for many years in products found in and around our homes. Lead also can be emitted into the air from motor vehicles and industrial sources, and lead can enter drinking water from plumbing materials. Lead may cause a range of health effects, from behavioral problems and learning disabilities, to seizures and death. Children six years old and under are most at risk." -From the EPA.


Reports about toys and goods imported from foreign countries being contaminated with lead have been making headlines in recent years. Because children are most susceptible to lead poisoning, a toy is the worst thing to have contaminated by lead.  Yet toys are routinely recalled due to lead contamination.  If you're concerned about the safety of the toys your child is playing with, Lead Testers can put your mind at ease.  Our inspections are non-destructive, so you won't have to ruin any of your child's favorite toys to get the answer you need.

Effects of Long-Term Lead PoisoningLead Free Kids

Lead poisoning can lead to a variety of health problems in kids, including:

  • decreased bone and muscle growth
  • poor muscle coordination
  • damage to the nervous system, kidneys, and/or hearing
  • speech and language problems
  • developmental delay
  • seizures and unconsciousness (in cases of extremely high lead levels)
-From KidsHealth.org


Because of the way that lead is absorbed into the body the symptoms may go unnoticed until it is too late. The CDC recommends that anyone living in housing constructed prior to 1978 have their home inspected for the presence of lead as a preventative measure.  The effects of continued exposure to lead can last a lifetime.  Inspections vary, but typically our inspections take less than an hour.  Find out if your home is contaminated by lead before it's too late.  Protect the future of your family by having your home inspected for lead today.

According to LeadFreeKids.org, high levels of lead in children can also cause:

  • Damage to the brain and nervous system
  • Behavior and learning problems, such as hyperactivity
  • Slowed growth
  • Hearing problems
  • Headaches
  • In rare cases of acute lead poisoning from ingestion of lead, children can suffer seizures, coma and even death.

Most Common Sources of Lead Poisoning:

  • Deteriorating lead-based paint
  • Lead contaminated dust
  • Lead contaminated residential soil

On the Web: